Knife and Fork, Worcester, soft paste porcelain, c.1757

 

Bearing the arms of Stoughton of Ballyhorgan, County Kerry, within pink C-scroll cartouches, this knife and fork belongs to the only recorded armorial cutlery service produced at Worcester. The crest of a rampant lion is painted on the reverse. Executed with great care en camaïeu, in tones of purple and puce, the flower painting on the pistol hafts is clearly influenced by Meissen. The blade and tines are of silver, as are the ferrules.

Provenance: Major General Beaumont-Nesbitt; Arthemise Redpath, who bequeathed the service to the Frick Collection, New York; deaccessioned by the Frick and sold at Sotheby’s, New York, December 1992; with Simon Spero, London, then split into the 12 pairs; an English Private Collection.

Condition: Excellent - no damage or restoration, and only very light wear from use, and kiln speckling from manufacture.

Dimensions: Knife length 22.3 cm (including blade); Fork length 18.8 cm (including tines)

Worcester Porcelain 1751-1790: The Zorensky Collection, Simon Spero & John Sandon (Antique Collectors' Club, 1996).

Cutlery: From Gothic to Art Deco - The J. Hollander Collection, Jan van Trigt (Petraco-Pandora NV, 1999).

Ref. The Stoughtons of Ballyhorgan were the Irish branch of a family assumed to have been descended from the Stoughton family of Surrey.

 

     
     
Click on thumbnail above to see larger image