Pickle Dish, Bristol, hard paste porcelain, c.1775
This Bristol vine leaf pickle dish is printed in underglaze blue with three floral sprays surrounding a sprig, the rim and stalk painted in blue. The underside is naturalistically moulded.
Bristol inherited porcelain making from Plymouth in 1770, after William Cookworthy moved his factory. Richard Champion's factory lasted from 1773 until 1781, when losses forced him to sell his patent to a group of Staffordshire potters, later to become New Hall.
Condition: No cracks or restoration, just two shallow chips beside the stalk, and tiny losses to the serrated rim.
Dimensions: Length 9.5 cm
Godden's Guide to Blue and White Porcelain, Geoffrey A. Godden, Antique Collectors' Club (2004).
|Click on thumbnail above to see larger image|