Charger, Vienna, c.1750

 

The centre of this large and finely painted charger is decorated in underglaze blue with trailing peonies and chrysanthemums, a design repeated around the wide flange. The cavetto is painted with alternate chrysanthemum flower heads and shaped cartouches containing reeds, reserved on a diaper trellis border. The reverse is painted with two branches.

Unusually for European porcelain, the layout and style of painting suggests that the pattern is copied directly from a Yongzheng original of circa 1730.

Blue painted Bindenschild mark above 2: and incised Z plus other marks. The incised Z occurs mostly on Vienna porcelain of the Du Paquier period, and it is possible that the undecorated porcelain body is earlier than 1750. Also, this version of the blue painted Bindenschild mark was introduced in 1749.

Provenance: The Rohde-Hinze Collection, Berlin.

Condition: Excellent - no damage or restoration, just minor firing flaws, including a small clay tear from the rim, which the artist has disguised on the underside with a leaf on the branch.

Dimensions: Diameter 32.1 cm

This charger is such a beautiful and tactile piece of porcelain and it is not easy to capture in an image the exquisitely harmonious shade of pale blue-grey painted decoration.

Vienna Porcelain Marks 1744-1864, Waltraud Neuwirth (Seven Hills Book Distributors, 1978).

 

Click on thumbnail above to see larger image