Delftware Sauceboat, Liverpool or Irish, c.1745-60
This rare delftware sauceboat is of double-handled form, the handles modelled as standing foxes with curling tails. The interior is painted in blue with peony and prunus branches issuing from a wheel medallion, the lips with flowers. The exterior is decorated with trailing flowers, the twin shell-moulded pouring spouts painted with small arabesque ornaments reserved on a blue ground. The enclosing rims, intended to prevent the contents from spilling, are decorated with diaper borders.
This form of sauceboat was produced in silver and also Saint-Cloud soft paste porcelain.
Provenance: The Liane Richards Collection.
A very closely related sauceboat is in the J.W.L. Glaisher Collection at the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (Object Number: 1546-1928). A similar sauceboat was also included in the Sampson Horne Collection (Bonhams, London, 2010).
Condition: There is some loss to the brittle tin glaze around the rim, the lips and the handles, with a short hairline to one pouring spout. No other damage and no restoration.
Dimensions: Length 22.8 cm
Delftware: The Tin-glazed Earthenware of the British Isles, Michael Archer (V&A/HMSO, 1997).
English Delftware, F.H. Garner and Michael Archer (Faber & Faber, 1972).
Delftware in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Michael Archer (Philip Wilson Publishers, 2013).
Irish Delftware, Peter Francis (Jonathan Horne Publications, 2002).
Click on thumbnail above to see larger image