Plate, hard paste porcelain, Dihl et Guérhard, rue du Temple, Paris, France, c.1800

 

The centre of this cabinet plate is exquisitely painted with two striped tulips and primulae, surrounded by a gilt-lined salmon-coloured inner border. The outer border is richly gilded with a band of classical paterae and trailing stylised leaves. The rim is gilded.

The base bears the mark 'MF. de Dihl et Guerhard à Paris', stencilled in grey.

Producing wares of the highest quality, the factory was established by Christophe Dihl and Antoine Guérhard in the rue de Bondy, Paris, in 1781. Aged only five, the duc d'Angoulême (1775-1844) was made the factory's royal protector, enabling the factory to produce and sell coloured and gilt porcelain, despite the monopoly granted to Sèvres in 1766. The factory moved to new premises in rue du Temple in 1789. The business was finally wound up in 1828.

Condition: Very good - no cracks or restoration, just a small chip to the footrim. The gilt and painted decoration is in superb order.

Dimensions: Diameter 24 cm

French Porcelain: A Catalogue of the British Museum Collection, Aileen Dawson (British Museum Press, 2000).

 

     
Click on thumbnail above to see larger image