A Berlin Coffee Can painted in sepia tones, circa 1790
The shape and decoration of this Berlin coffee cup are very much in the Neoclassical manner. Finely painted in sepia tones with a classical maiden at an altar, within a gilt-edged oval reserve, the blue-ground is decorated with a gilt vermiculé pattern. Gilt line rims. The square handle is edged with gilt, as are the decorative handle terminals.
Sceptre mark in underglaze blue, impressed numerals.
The Royal Porcelain Factory, Berlin, was founded in 1763 by Frederick the Great. He gave the manufactory its name – Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin (KPM) – and allowed it to use the royal sceptre as its mark.
Condition: No chips, cracks or restoration. The sepia painting is particularly fine. There is some wear to the gilt vermiculé pattern either side of the oval reserve from use, and a minute loss to the gilding on the rim. There is a tiny patch of staining to the inside of the footrim.
Dimensions: Height 6.5 cm