A Bristol Coffee Cup, Richard Champion, circa 1775

This coffee cup is painted in underglaze blue with three floral sprays, and a trellis border to the inside.

The base is marked with a blue cross in underglaze blue.

Bristol had inherited porcelain-making in 1770 after Cookworthy moved from Plymouth. Richard Champion’s factory lasted from 1773 until 1781, when enormous losses forced him to sell his patent to a group of Staffordshire potters, later to become New Hall.

Condition: No damage or restoration, just a tiny scorch mark from firing.

Dimensions: Height 6 cm

As Bristol porcelain is relatively scarce and highly collectable, this coffee cup would grace any collection of early English ‘true’ or hard paste porcelain.

Enquire